The lampshade is one of the mainstays of most homes when it comes to décor. Whether we are talking about the living room, the study, or the bedroom, there will always be a lampshade. The primary purpose of the lampshade is to provide lighting. As you know, lighting is an essential part of the interior. It’s often referred to as the jewelry of the home because it makes all the other decorations look great. However, you can customize your lampshade so that it makes a big statement for the décor in your home. And you don’t even need a lot of things to do this. With simple decorative paper, you can customize the lampshade and revamp its look for the better. Here are a few steps you should follow:
What You Will Need?
Before moving to the process of customizing the lampshade using decorative paper, let’s give you a list of some of the things you will need for this job. The first thing is of course the decorative paper. You can get this from your local hardware store. You will also need a plane white lampshade or any other color. It’s better if the lampshade is new. In case you don’t have a new one, you can go online and buy. Make sure you also have a good pair of scissors as well as decorative trim that will be ideal for the edges.
Here are the steps you need to take in order to decorate your lampshade with great custom designs:
- Start by laying down the lampshade on a table covered with paper. You can use old newspapers if you want. Take the decorative paper and wrap it round the lampshade carefully. Wrap it up once and then cut off the paper using the scissors.
- Once the paper is on the shade, you can now start trimming the edges for the perfect fit. Make sure the paper is stuck well on the lampshade. The rule of thumb is not to cover the entire shade with paper. The aim is to create a unique pattern so as you trim out the edges, cut out the patterns you want on the paper too.
- Stretch out the paper – you don’t want to have decorative paper sagging around your lampshade. As you trim off the edges, make sure you are also tightening the paper so that it tightly covers the entire shade as per the paper you have selected.
- In case you have many lampshades to decorate, you can start by first of all cutting out patterns on the decorative papers before wrapping them up on the shade.
- Use glue if you have to but only a small amount. Glue can be messy at times so be careful.
- Do not cover the entire lampshade. If it’s white, small patterns on the surface should do.
Well, customizing your lampshades is never a difficult thing and you are allowed to be as creative as you can. The tips above will come handy.