For years, man caves have taken the spotlight as being the perfect personal space for fathers, brothers and the single man, with a lot of males converting their domestic concrete garage into a bar, gym or gaming living space.
But all that is now changing, as women are fighting back thanks to the growing trend of the she-shed – the new space that allows women to have their own space to relax, chill out and hang out with friends.
So how do you change your garden shed into the perfect she-shed? Well there aren’t any rules, as you should make the shed that is best suited for you, but there are some things you might need to consider, and that’s why we’ve listed them below to help you along the way.
First things first, what is your new personal space going to be used for:
- Relaxation: you might find that you need some time away from everyday life, so your new she-shed could be a place for you to escape. To make a comfortable environment, add in some chairs, or a sofa, as well as a stereo and reading material.
- Hobbies: If you are looking for a place that lets you have the space to carry out your hobbies and interests, a she-shed could do just that. Whether you are into gardening, knitting or crafting, this could be the perfect place for you to do just that, so make sure you deck it out with all the equipment you would need!
- Entertaining: If you are finding that you just haven’t got any space in your home to entertain your friends, due to children or the lack of extra living space, a she-shed could be a different and interesting place to do this. You could add in tables, chairs, a stereo and even a cooler for the wine!
Once you have decided what your garden shed is going to be turned into, it’s now time to consider how you are doing to do it:
- Paint: If you are looking to brighten up a space, as well as make your garden shed look pleasing on the eye both inside and outside, then a fresh coat of paint is the way to go – it’s also extremely cost effective. A light colour can open up a space, so you might find that a light blue, green or yellow could be perfect for your sheds interior. The world is your oyster, but make sure you pick a colour that suits your personality, just note that if you are looking to use a brighter colour that you try it on one wall first, you only have a small space, so it’s best to make the most out of it.
- Décor: This is where your personality should really come in as choosing the right décor should be personal to you. Picking furniture that is comfortable is key, as she-sheds are all about cosiness. And, when it comes to decoration, you can be as girly as you want, go to antique shops for inexpensive and unique finds, or head to the closet homeware store and deck it out head to toe with curtains, pillows, lamps and chairs.
- Exterior: Just because your she-shed is separate from your home unlike a man cave in the domestic garage, it doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t feel like a part of your home. It’s time to decorate the exterior to make it look homey and welcoming, a good and fun way to do this is by stencilling on the outdoor walls, or even adding some plants, hanging baskets and even lanterns outside. Just make sure the flowers you pick will be able to withstand a lot of weathers.
More and more women are now turning their garden shed into their dream personal space. So say goodbye to the concrete garage converted man cave, and hello to a women only haven.