What’s so great about wall ovens? The convenience of cooking multiple dishes at once for large numbers of people and monitoring your dishes cooking at eye level make wall ovens coveted items on any serious cook’s wish list.
Wall ovens are generally used in conjunction with separate cooktops and can be gas, convection, or electric. Just be sure to do your research before purchasing a wall unit – there are a number of pros and cons to consider.
Check online platforms such as chowhound.com or local foodie forums on reddit.com, or even Consumer Reports if you already subscribe, for which brands are most highly recommended and where to find the best wall ovens for sale in York, PA.
Having the extra cooking area that wall ovens (especially double units) offer is a considerable advantage, but there are a few other pros as well:
- Wall units can also be easier for those with back or mobility issues to use as they don’t require as much deep bending and lifting as a conventional range.
- For ultimate versatility, wall ovens can combine a microwave or convection function with more conventional cook settings.
- Wall ovens are available in a range of price points including luxury brands such as Thermador.
Those are the pros but you’ll also want to consider the cons:
- Wall ovens tend to be more expensive than standalone ranges and more complicated to install.
- The size and layout of your kitchen may be an issue. The online home design blog Modernize A(Hpoints out: “A range is typically 30 inches wide, while a wall oven and cooktop will take up at least 57 inches of space.” Countertop space is also required on both sides of a wall oven to accommodate hot pans. For those with more compact living quarters, a wall unit might not make sense.
Where to Buy New
Wall ovens are widely available in big box chain stores such as Best Buy, Lowe’s or and appliance specialty stores like h.h.Gregg. Be sure to compare prices as these stores often have sales that could save you hundreds of dollars. Some offer free delivery and set-up, which also adds to time and dollar savings and convenience.
Where to Buy Used
If buying used and taking care of hauling your new appliance home doesn’t bother you, services such as craigslist.com, or letgo.com may be useful.
Commercial and Retail Restaurant Supply Stores
Even if restaurant specialty supply stores such as Wolf Restaurant Supply in York don’t stock wall ovens or other large appliances, they may be able to hook you up with a wholesale supplier or give you advice on where to find a good deal.
Installing a wall oven is a must for serious cooks and caterers but it can also elevate any home kitchen in a way that will certainly yield delicious results. Just be sure to do your homework first.