Remodeling a room in your home does not need to be expensive or difficult. Often you can achieve fantastic design results by spending a small amount of money on items that make a big difference, or by using items you already own. Much of this can be a DIY project with a trip or two to your local Home Depot. Depending upon how much of a change you want to make, you can also employ a general home services company in your area to help out
- Paint will lead to the most dramatic difference and “bang for your buck” for your home. New paint automatically gives a room a fresh look for very little money. If you are willing to do the work yourself, then there are even more savings.
- Try rearranging your furniture. Look at different configurations that add space to the area. Many times people get so used to one room as it is and they forget to try the easy fixes.
- Bring in pieces of furniture or other items from other rooms. Or if a room is crowded, take some pieces out. This is virtually cost-free and can make a huge difference in a room’s design. A little imagination goes a long way here.
- Adding or changing curtains creates a great look and pulls a room together. Use fabric that will fit in with the rest of the room’s decor.
- Using a blanket or sheet to cover a sofa or chair is a quick and inexpensive way to dress up old worn furniture.
- Buy tablecloths to fit over end tables or other tables in a room. They are inexpensive and you can decorate for any number of seasonal or holiday themes.
- Try using different lighting to change the setting and bring a certain ambiance to a room. Sometimes just moving a light fixture to a different location in a room makes a big difference.
- Use plants to decorate a room. Bringing in plants is always a great way to add a sense of newness to a space.
- Add some art and pictures to the walls. Sometimes something as simple as a photo that is blown up and put into an old picture frame creates a very beautiful look.
- Get new carpeting or simply clean your existing carpet.
By using your imagination and using some of these decorating tips, it might appear like you spent a fortune and put a huge amount of work into the decor. But sometimes the best designs are the simplest and least expensive.